The Street Seen: 2219 3rd St (Frances Court)
2219 3rd Street @ Strand St
In 1920, Frances Court, a six-building 6-unit apartment court, is built on a large lot on the east side of 3rd St between Strand and Pacific. The property remains in the builder’s family for 90 years.
Frank Donahue
In 1919, recent New York City arrival, Frank Donahue1 acquires2 a large hillside property on the northeast corner of 3rd St and Strand.3
In 1920, Donahue builds a 6-building, 6-unit American Colonial Revival apartment court for $10,000.4 It is named the St. Francis Court5 after its builder and owner. The Donahue family lives in unit 5.
The six 1-story buildings each have a shingle-clad hipped roof, a fireplace with chimney, and stucco exterior walls.
Helen Donahue
After Frank Donahue dies (age 51) in 1922, his wife, Helen E. Donahue, remains at Unit 5 until her death in 1958.
Helen Donahue subdivides the vacant Lot 5, selling the 50-ft x 98-ft southwest corner (where 305 Strand is built in 1959) and in 1951, using the northeast 52-ft for a new duplex (311 & 313 Strand St).
Currently
Over time, the 7-building property is converted to a 12-unit rent-controlled multifamily residential property.6 Frances Court remains in the Donahue family until 2012, when it sells for $3.09MM.
Francis Mark “Frank” Donahue (1871 - 1922) is born in New York City and lives with his parents and siblings in the Upper East Side (132 71st St). In 1917, he (age 45) marries Helle Mary English (1891 - 1958) (age 25) in St. Clement Church in Ocean Park. They are the parents of 3 children:-
Frank Mark Donahue (1918 - 2007)
John Vincent Donahue (1920 - 1993)
Patricia H. Donahue (1921 - 2005)
It seems that Frank Donahue, whose 1910 occupation is listed as office clerk, inherits the funds when his wealthy father dies in 1918.
The 140-ft by 150-ft property is part of Lot 3, and all of Lot 4 and Lot 5 of Block 12 of the South Santa Monica Tract of 1875.

In 1887, Ivar A. Weid sells part of Lot 3, and all of Lot 4 and Lot 5 of Block 12 to John D. Bosch for $1,050. In 1903, Bosch sells the property to Fred Jepson. In 1906, Jepson sells the property to George W. Southcott, and in 1919, Southcott sells the vacant property to Donahue.
Although Donahue owns Lots 3, 4, & 5, the 6 buildings are only on Lots 3 and 4, leaving Lot 5 vacant.
After 1924, St. Francis Court goes by the name Frances Court.
The 12-unit rent-controlled property consists of four 2 BR/1 BA, two 1 BR, four singles (living room, separate kitchen, and bathroom), and two bachelors (small main room including a kitchen area and separate bath).











